The Community Law Project serves vulnerable, low-income, and sometimes homeless men, women, and children. Several of our Downtown clients partake in the free Monday evening meal served at First Lutheran Church or utilize our partners’ medical and social services. Many of our Solana Beach clients are members of the St. Leo Mission Church and enjoy one of the many services the church offers. Our City Heights clients are also parents whose children attend the schools the clinics are housed in.
CLP serves community members on a first come, first-served basis. After signing up, CLP student volunteers will meet with clients to discuss the client’s particular legal issue. The student will also meet with an onsite supervising attorney to discuss the client’s needs and any potential solutions to the client’s issue. The attorney will either provide the client with advice, schedule the client for a future consultation with a specialty attorney, or refers the client to an appropriate outside organization for further assistance.
Spanish translation is always available.
Legal Services Areas and Sample Legal Situations
- I have past due credit card bills – what should I do?
- The collection agency has been calling me – what should I do?
- Should I file for bankruptcy?
- I am receiving calls from creditors asking for money – what do I do now?
- I paid for a service, but the business is trying to overcharge me – do I have to pay the full amount?
- Someone owes me money – what should I do?
- I recieved a criminal citation – what should I do?
- How do I get a misdemeanor conviction expunged?
- I have been wrongly fired from my job – what should I do?
Estate & Probate Law
- How do I create a will for myself?
- A love one recently passed away with (or without) a will – what happens now?
- How do I file for divorce?
- How do I get child support for my child?
- How do I apply for Section 8 housing?
- I am behind on my rent – what can I do to stay in my home?
- I received an eviction notice from my landlord, what should I do?
- Do I qualify for a green card?
- How do I apply for US Citizenship?
- What are my rights as an undocumented immigrant?
Personal Injury Law
- I am being sued for an accident that was my fault – now what?
- I was injured in an accident – can I sue the other person?
- My car insurance is not paying for an accident I was in – what can I do?
Public Benefits Law
- How do I sign up for MediCal or Medicare?
- Am I eligible for any type of government assistance?
- My benefits have been cut off – is there anything I can do?
- How do I pay back taxes?
- I have not filed my taxes – what now?
- I have received letters from the IRS – do I need to answer?